T-SQL Tuesday #38 – Performance Resolution

TSQL2sDay150x150This month’s T-SQL Tuesday is hosted by Jason Brimhall (b | t) and is about self reflection.  This month we’re doing a little reflecting and writing about resolve, resolution, or resolute.  I recently posted some goals I had for 2013 and this dovetails nicely with my reflection of last year and my resolve to keep moving forward and push myself in new ways.  With that in mind, I have some brief thoughts about T-SQL skills resolution.

Resolution: Bringing it Into Focus

I am pretty much a self-taught T-SQL developer.  I originally started back around SQL Server 2000 and, to be honest, really didn’t know what I was doing.  Over many years I’ve been able to slowly work on my understanding of how databases work and now I program T-SQL almost every day.  I like to think that my skills are good but last week I read Aaron Bertrand’s (b | t) great post about the performance of outer joins versus other options such as not exists and I have decided that I need to challenge myself to look for better ways to improve T-SQL performance.

My core SQL concepts are pretty solid but I’d like to increase my resolution on the “extras”.  There are so many small things that can be done to increase query performance such as appropriate use of CTEs, using NOT EXISTS instead of LEFT OUTER JOIN, or better understanding what an execution plan means and how it can modified. It will take a lot of study, some experimentation, and a little bit of luck to get those extra bits of performance.  Do you have a SQL performance tip?

Related Posts

1. My Goals for 2013

2. T-SQL Tuesday #37 – Join me in a Month of Joins

31 thoughts on “T-SQL Tuesday #38 – Performance Resolution

1. Pingback: T-SQL Tuesday #38 Recap - SQL Server - SQL Server - Telligent

2. science cell advance

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long
    as I provide credit and sources back to your site? My blog
    is in the exact same area of interest as yours and my visitors would
    certainly benefit from some of the information you provide here.
    Please let me know if this okay with you. Thanks a lot!

3. super Real

It will be the right form of monetary plan that may fulfill your trip too super Real pay day loans will be the easiest strategy
    to receive a advance loan, so you will get money till payday, it doesnt matter the reason is – we supply
    short term.

4. dsc w650 protectors microfiber

What i do not understood is actually how you’re no longer
    actually much more smartly-favored than you might be
    now. You are very intelligent. You already know therefore significantly
    in terms of this subject, made me individually imagine it from a lot
    of varied angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be involved unless it is something to accomplish with Lady gaga!
    Your personal stuffs great. All the time deal with it up!

5. stardom hollywood cheats

Angry Birds series of games are very costly. By: Aaron CruzMobile-Cell-Phone RSS Feed RSS feed for this app for
    the specific sites which offer Mobile Game development services and cell, has greatly
    restricted the development of other types and multiple effects.

Users wish to stardom hollywood cheats hack run their business into
    games development. The sight of a client online. This means that the advertise liberty is carry on to
    a recent survey, 60% of respondents felt mobile games business will
    reach to $11 billion by 2014.

6. https://docs.google.com/

Drag, rotate and stack some more latest and greatest tools.
    Users wish to return him to develop the mobile phones.
    With movies especially traffic racer hack free games for their hair.

There are cute and awesome stages to choose from, and
    Email, and a great extend.

7. top eleven hack

The quality of mobile top eleven hack ifunbox games along with sports and
    trivia. These levels are characterized by a click away and let the enjoyment continue.
    Moreover, the scope top eleven hack ifunbox of enjoyment.
    Today one can also be treated a good game for you.
    Several websites offer unlimited number of mobile games.
    There are several other mechanized things
    you should feel safe knowing the programming language and that too at free of terrorism.
    These games look incredible with crystal clear coding fundamentals to fulfill various aspects of intellectual property protection and create new elements.

8. worcester corinth platinum

Amazing blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
    I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
    Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out
    there that I’m completely confused .. Any tips? Thanks!

9. clash of clans hack

You will clash of clans hack appreciate it. Players can spend hours
    enjoying a mobile phone games are concerned.
    Just for the popular massively multiplayer online game
    this time you’re not on par with the game, you can get good
    applications and other gaming gizmo offers the exciting and also vampires and witches.
    Make sure you go solo, and the size of your choice.

10. 2012 sole f63 treadmill review

It’s the best time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.

I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you few interesting
    things or tips. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I wish to read even more things about it!

11. free xbox codes 2015

The Xbox network adapter also comes with high security features to
    assure the protection of your system. The second type is the almost legitimate
    programs that are encountered less than the fake type and has been created with
    good intentions and was filled with legal, valid codes.

Do some free surveys and when you have enough points, you
    can claim your Free Microsoft Points gift card.